Fit for any self-respecting seaman (Picture: YouTube/Jake’s Life)
Everybody’s obsessed with sea shanties right now, with the song The Wellerman blowing up on TikTok (you’ve probably had it playing in your head for a few days).
In this particular shanty, the seamen sing: ‘Soon may the Wellerman come, to bring us sugar and tea and rum.’
There’s nothing like that craving for a cuppa, a sweet treat, or a drink at the end of a hard day, and YouTuber Jake’s Life decided to take inspiration from this with his new recipe.
The delicious-looking biscuits only use five ingredients, and you’ll end up with a cuppa-scented, chocolate-dipped sweet treat that any sailor would be proud to fuel up with.
Best of all, these ingredients are all things the sailors would have eaten, right down to the rum.
Jake’s Life wrote: ‘I’ve heard so many sea shanties over the past few days, that I was inspired to make something based on them. So I decided to make some sailor’s biscuits (AKA Hardtack) but with a few extra ingredients.
‘In the shanty “The Wellerman”, the sailors of the Billy of Tea are waiting to be brought sugar, tea and rum by The Wellerman. So I though these would be perfect for fancying up their normal biscuits.’
If you want to make them yourself, here’s how (recipe makes 20 biscuits)”
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1/4 cup tea
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 100g chocolate
- 1 tbsp rum
- Combine the flour, sugar and tea in a bowl and mix until combined. You can also add a pinch of salt for extra flavour if you like.
- Knead the dough until smooth then roll into a sheet of 5mm thickness.
- Cut the dough into 20x40mm strips then bake at 180°C/355°F for 22 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate and stir in the rum. Add 1 Tbsp of milk and microwave for 10 seconds if it seizes up.
- Half dip the cooled biscuits into the chocolate and allow to cool on parchment paper.
- Dip in tea and enjoy!
We might not be out facing the angry waves and sorting out rigging, but we can appreciate a treat like this at the end of the day.
Do you have a story you’d like to share?
Get in touch at [email protected].