fried egg on yellow background, top view (Credits: Getty Images)
Today is a celebration of the humble egg: it’s World Egg Day.
Perhaps you’re eating one now for breakfast or preparing one for a lunchtime sandwich. Maybe even, it’s going to make an appearance at dinner.
Scrambled, fried, poached or boiled, there are plenty of ways to enjoy this staple food item.
A recent poll by egg-themed restaurant Eggslut found that scrambled is the most popular way to enjoy eggs, with 61% preferring it like that over fried.
Thanks to the boom in afternoon brunches, 20% of us prefer to have an egg in the afternoon – though clearly most still see it as a breakfast food.
Around a third of us eat more than five eggs a week, making that an almost daily go-to.
To switch it up a little, here’s how to make an upgraded version of your usual bacon, egg and cheese sandwich with avocado.
Time for an upgrade (Picture: Eggslut)
Egg, bacon, cheese and avocado bap recipe
It’s the most popular go-to at Eggslut, so here’s how you can make it at home.
- 1 bread bun, ideally brioche
- Chipotle sauce (or any hot sauce)
- Tomato ketchup
- 1 avocado
- 4 slices of smokey, streaked bacon
- 1 egg
- 1 slice of cheddar cheese
1. Cook your smoky, streaked bacon before you start assembling and keep warm. This can be done in the oven, grill or fried however you prefer, just make sure that it’s hot and the bacon is extra crispy.
2. Cut your brioche bun in half and place the two halves of your bun in the oven to warm slightly.
3. Cook your fried egg (see below for tips to get the perfect egg with a runny yolk).
4. While your egg is cooking, mix tomato ketchup with chipotle to taste (or another hot sauce).
5. Take your warm brioche bun out of the oven and add your homemade chipotle ketchup onto both halves.
Layer it up (Picture: Eggslut)
6. Slice your avocado and place it on the bottom side of your bun.
7. Fold the streaky bacon in half and place it on top of your avocado.
8. Then, place your fried egg on top of the bacon.
9. Melt one slice of cheddar cheese in the oven or grill and add it on top of the egg when it is melted.
10. Add the top half of your bun onto the cheese and your perfect brunch egg dish is complete.
How to expertly flip an egg
If fried is your preferred way to go, here’s how to master the flip.
What you need:
- 1 egg, Eggslut’s are Clarence Court Burford Browns
- Oil, we use rapeseed oil
- One small frying pan
- Use a small frying pan cook your egg on a medium heat
- Your egg is ready to flip when it can easily move around in the pan
- Angle the pan down so that the egg moves towards the edge furthest away from you
- Thrust the same edge upwards in a smooth fast motion, so the egg flies up in front of you
- Softly catch the egg in the pan, letting it land gently with the yolk facing downwards
- Using the same small motion, thrust the edge of the pan upwards to flip your egg again so the yolk is facing upwards
Pro tip: If you want to practice flipping an egg before you start cooking, try flipping a bread roll in a cold frying pan away from the oven.
Do you have a story to share?
Get in touch by emailing [email protected].