A DOG owner claims her French bulldog puppy CHOKED to death – after Starbucks staff put a dog biscuit in her puppuccino.
Megan Harrison said she’s “heartbroken” over Bonnie’s death and “absolutely disgusted” by Starbucks’ response to the alleged tragedy.
Megan is devastated by Bonnie’s deathCredit: Kennedy News
She claimed her dog choked on the biscuit – which is not usually in the drinkCredit: Kennedy News
A “puppuccino” is a dog-friendly cream drink that dog owners can request at Starbucks, but it is not an official menu item.
Megan, 24, said she visited Starbucks in Festival Park, Stoke on Trent, back in September and bought the creamy doggy treats to take home for her three pooches – but staff topped them with Bonio biscuits.
Shortly after 18-week-old pup Bonnie finished hers she was found dead, Megan said.
Despite Megan’s fiancé allegedly spending ten minutes desperately trying to remove the biscuit and doing CPR, there was “nothing they could do” to save her.
The 24-year-old is now speaking out about her ordeal to warn dog owners to not allow staff to put biscuits on puppuccinos.
She said owners should remove or break the snack into small pieces to prevent the same thing happening again.
Starbucks said they were “really upset” to hear about Megan’s loss and stated that puppuccinos are not an official item on the Starbucks UK menu.
The chain admitted that dog biscuits are not usually provided, however claimed their staff asked Megan if her dog would like one on this occasion, as they knew her, and it was placed on top of the puppuccino.
Bonio manufacturer Purina said the health and wellbeing of pets is their “number one priority,” and that they don’t supply dog biscuits to restaurants and cafés.
Megan from Crewe, Cheshire East, said: “It’s so heartbreaking, I’ll never really be over it.
“She was just so funny and lovely and had a really big personality.
“I had to hand-rear her myself when she was newborn. She looked to me as mum, I did everything for her.
“She’s had them puppuccinos before. I’d go to Starbucks with just Bonnie and it used to be a thing that me and her did as a treat.
“This was the first time it had a biscuit with it.
“I wasn’t watching her every second because she’d had them before and it was never an issue, but there was never a biscuit in there on previous occasions.”
Megan says Bonnie was in the kitchen when she demolished the whipped cream treat while she was in the open-plan living room.
Megan said: “She had the puppuccino, ate the biscuit, went to go and get a drink of water and then she lay in her bed and obviously that’s when she died, she choked, but it was silent.
“I just dropped on the floor when I saw her. I didn’t know what to do.
“Her tongue was out and eyes were open, I knew that she’d gone.”
She said her partner put his fingers down the dog’s throat to try and get the biscuit out.
Little Bonnie was just 18-weeks-old when she diedCredit: Kennedy News
Megan said: “We managed to pull this big chunk of biscuit out, it was bitten in half but it was still jammed in her throat.
“It was covered in mucus, sick, blood, cream and water.
“We tried doing CPR. We did everything we could do for her but there was nothing that we could actually do.”
Megan said she called the emergency vet and also gave Bonnie’s mum Bell and brother Billie an opportunity to say goodbye to her.
After making the heart-wrenching calls, Megan contacted Starbucks to let them know what happened.
Megan said: “I’ve spoken to Starbucks and to be honest, I’m absolutely disgusted with them.
“It wasn’t like ‘oh, I’m really sorry that this has happened’, it felt more like ‘I’m really sorry but what can we do to get you back in store?’
“That’s all they seemed bothered about and it angered me so much.”
Devastated Megan said she was offered a £250 gift card to spend in-store, but feels she wasn’t given a sincere apology.
Megan is now urging the chain to put puppucinos on the menu so that staff and customers know exactly what’s in them – and claims she’s now super-vigilant whenever her dogs have treats.
A Starbucks spokesperson said: “Our partners (employees) are really upset to hear about the customer’s loss, the customer and her dogs are known and well-loved in our store.
“Puppuccinos are not an official item on the Starbucks UK menu. If customers request the item we have a ‘make every moment right’ policy and offer them free of charge.”
A Purina spokesperson said: “We would like to pass on our sincere condolences to the owners of the puppy.
“We know that the loss of a pet in any circumstances is heartbreaking and the health and wellbeing of pets is our number one priority.
“We don’t supply dog biscuits to restaurants and cafés and we would not recommend serving treats to pets in a way that leaves owners unable to see the feeding guidelines on pack.
“This guidance indicates to the owner whether a snack is safe and appropriate for their individual pet.”
The Sun has contacted Starbucks for comment.
Devastated Megan hand-reared the pup from birthCredit: Kennedy News
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The Sun news desk?