Great Ormond Street said the allegations are ‘truly awful’ (Picture: AFP via Getty)
A former porter at Great Ormond Street Hospital has been charged with more than 80 child sex offences said to have been committed over three decades.
Paul Farrell, 55, of Camden, north London, faces 84 charges including rape, attempted rape, sexual assault of a child under 13 and indecent assault on a male.
The charges relate to seven victims, with the offences allegedly committed between 1985 and 2018, Scotland Yard said.
Farrell worked at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children in central London from the mid-1980s until his arrest in January, according to The Sun.
Great Ormond Street Hospital released a statement on Wednesday ‘regarding media stories about a former member of staff’.
It said: ‘These are truly awful charges and we know that our hospital community, including our patient families, will have concerns or questions.
‘Due to the ongoing legal proceedings, we cannot go into the details of the case, but we can confirm that the individual who has been charged was dismissed from the Trust and we are continuing to work closely with the police.
‘Safeguarding children is fundamental to the care we provide and our policies are in line with national best practice.
‘If patients, their families or colleagues raise concerns about staff there is a clear and swift process to manage these concerns when they are raised. This includes involving the police where needed.’
Police said Farrell is in custody and due to appear at Wood Green Crown Court on Friday for a plea and directions hearing.
Charges in full:
Farrell is charged with the following offences:
– Two counts of indecency with a child
– Twenty eight counts of indecent assault on a male
– Twenty counts of sexual assault of a child under 13
– Five counts of causing a child under 13 to engage in sexual activity
– Four counts of sexual activity with a child under 13
– One count of attempted rape of a child under 13
– Nine counts of sexual activity with a child under 16
– Three counts of causing a child under 16 to engage in sexual activity
– Two counts of attempted rape
– One count of rape
– One count of paying for sexual services of a child
– Three counts of possessing indecent photograph / pseudo-photo of a child
– Four counts of making indecent photograph / pseudo-photograph of a child
– One counts of possessing extreme pornographic images.
Farrell was arrested on January 16 this year and first appeared at Highbury Magistrates’ Court shortly after being charged.
An ongoing investigation is being led by officers from the Metropolitan Police’s Central North Command Unit safeguarding team.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].
For more stories like this, check our news page.