The 72ft mound in central London has been likened to the hill from Tellytubby Land (Picture: Getty)
Tourists hoping to visit the Marble Arch mound won’t have long to wait – as ticket sales have already restarted for August 9 onwards.
Westminster Council have given themselves just 12 days to fix the issues with the much-maligned attraction that was closed on Wednesday after it was branded the ‘worst in London.’
The 72ft hill, which cost £2million to build, left early visitors disappointed as ‘rare views’ of Hyde Park couldn’t be seen above the trees.
Instead those who paid up to £6.50 a ticket were left to gaze out over a pile of rubble to the right of the structure.
People online were quick to compare the mound in the centre of London to the hill from Tellytubby Land and the scenery in the video game Mario 64.
Earlier Westminster Council said the attraction was ‘clearly not ready’ when it opened on Monday and suspended all bookings.
Those who have already booked to go up the hill’s 130 steps were being offered refunds or the chance to rearrange their visit.
It’s hoped the delay will give vegetation planted on the hill time to ‘bed in’ while other teething problems will be fixed.
People will be able to visit again come August 9 (Picture: Getty)
It’s hoped the attraction will look less sparse in ten days (Picture: Getty)
The Rotterdam-based MVRDV architects had previously blamed weather conditions for the appearance of the mound, saying a recent drought had left the foliage looking thin.
Critics said the reality looked underwhelming compared to the artist’s impression of the structure, which showed the site covered in luscious greenery.
The architects asked people to be patient and ‘give nature time’ as ‘it will get better.’
Critics say the reality is underwhelming, compared to the plans for the site
Once it reopens, the installation, which is hollow and has a cafe inside, is only scheduled to be in place until January next year.
A Westminster council spokesman told the Evening Standard: ‘We’re sorry for the delay and look forward to welcoming visitors when they’re ready to enjoy all the mound has to offer.’
Metro.co.uk has contacted the authority for further comment.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].
For more stories like this, check our news page.