MEGHAN Markle and Prince Harry have quit social media after an “almost unsurvivable” experience of online trolling, says a report.
According to the Sunday Times, the Duke and Duchess are set for a digital detox and will no longer use Twitter or Facebook.
⚠️ Read our Meghan Markle and Prince Harry live blog for the latest news on the Royal couple
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have quit social media and will no longer use Twitter or Facebook, says a reportCredit: Reuters
In their most recent Instagram post last March, they hinted towards a break from online platformsCredit: Instagram
The pair use their Instagram account, which has over 10.4 million followers, to share public health advice on the coronavirus as well as updates on their charity work – but they have not posted since March.
In their most recent post, they hinted at leaving social media, writing: “While you may not see us here, the work continues.”
In an interview with Californian high school students for Mental Health Day last October, the Duchess said she was “the most trolled person in the world” in 2020 – and urged anyone suffering to speak out.
Meghan said: “I’m told that in 2019 I was the most trolled person in the entire world, male or female.
“I don’t care if you’re 15 or you’re 25 – if people are saying things about you that aren’t true, what that does to your mental and emotional health is so damaging.”
The pair had previously used their Instagram account to share public health advice on the coronavirus as well as updates on their charity workCredit: Paul Edwards The Sun
The Duchess also spoke of the dangers of social media for teen mental health, adding: “Yes it’s a great place to connect but it’s also a place where there is a lot of disconnection.”
The news marks another departure from royal life for the couple, as other members of the Royal Family regularly use Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to promote their official and charity work.
Prince Harry has also been vocal in his criticism of “hate” being expressed on social media platforms.
In October last year, Prince Harry told a virtual summit hosted by TIME100 that people needed to “take back control” of their use of social media and devices.
He said online platforms were “distracting us from the things we should be focused on.”
Harry added: “What is happening in the online world is affecting the world. This is a global crisis of hate, a global crisis of misinformation, and a global health crisis.”
They claimed the pair have already settled the most pressing concerns about their life away from the royal family.
When Harry and Meghan stepped down as working royals last year, it was on the condition that the prince would meet with the Queen at a later date to discuss how the arrangement was working.
That was due to be on March 31 this year, but as a terrifying mutant Covid strain ravages the UK, a ban on non-essential travel has been imposed.
However a source told Newsweek: “The 12-month review was mostly a period of time when the transition could take place.
“The biggest things that were part of it were around financial independence, household support and staff, security and housing – all of which have been dealt with.”