THE Queen was ‘blindsided’ by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s announcement of a ‘tell-all’ interview with Oprah Winfrey, it’s reported.
The royal couple failed to inform the monarch of their plans before revealing they’ll chat to the American chat show host.
? Read our Meghan and Harry live blog for the very latest news...
The Queen was ‘blindsided’ after her grandson failed to inform her in advance that he and Meghan Markle would appear on Oprah, it’s claimedCredit: Reuters
The couple are believed to have filmed a ‘tell-all’ interview on parenthood, marriage and the royals earlier this weekCredit: EPA
And she only learned of it when US TV network CBS hurriedly issued a statement on Monday – after a producer working for Ms Winfrey mistakenly alerted ITV of the plans, the Mail on Sunday reports.
Members of the Royal family usually run potential TV interview opportunities past the Queen in advance.
However, it’s claimed Harry kept the deal secret.
It comes as:
Meanwhile, sources have told the publication he instigated discussions with his grandmother over a permanent Megxit in order for the matter to be settled before the interview.
The couple sat down with Ms Winfrey to record the chat last Tuesday, it’s understood.
Harry and Meghan were forced to reveal the interview ahead of schedule after ITV were tipped off.
The couple are believed to have spoken about marriage, parenthood, life as royals and their charity work during the discussion.
But insiders told the publication the interview didn’t influence the Queen’s decision to strip Harry and Meghan of their royal patronages and royal titles.
Instead, she penned a letter to Harry explaining the decision before the announcement about the interview was made.
They were reportedly forced into announcing the interview earlier than planned after details were mistakenly given to ITVCredit: AFP
News of the chat came days before Harry and Meghan confirmed they will never return as senior royalsCredit: EPA
And she told her grandson there could be no ‘half-in, half-out’ role – telling them that now they’ve stepped away from their duties, it wouldn’t be possible for them to continue with those responsibilities.
Meghan and Harry immediately hit back with a statement issued in the early hours of the morning in LA.
They insisted they would still live “a life of service” away from the Royal family, adding: “Service is universal.”
But one insider told the paper: “People need to ne able to look you in the eye and know you’re here for the, not filming a Netflix documentary.
“Being a royal is all about public service, not serving yourself.
“If public service is not your primary purpose, and making money is, then it’s impossible to represent the Queen.”
The couple currently live in LA with their son, Archie
Meanwhile, it’s claimed that a joint statement on Megxit from the Duke and Duchess and the Queen was initially planned, but abandoned when no agreement could be reached on wording.
And Palace aides were reportedly furious at the “downright rude” response from the couple
Claims the Queen wasn’t aware of the interview with Ms Winfrey have added to a turbulent few weeks for Meghan and Harry.
A source told the Mail: “It seems clear from the sequence of events that they wanted and needed to know the final outcome [of the Queen’s decision] before they taped Oprah.”
As a result of leaving the royals, Harry will lose his three military titles – Captain General of the Royal Marines, Honorary Air Commandant of RAF Honington and Commodore-in-Chief, Royal Navy Small Ships and Diving.
His patronages of the Rugby Football League and Rugby Football Union, plus Meghan’s of the Royal National Theatre and the Association of Commonwealth Universities have both been returned.
The Duke and Duchess have also stepped down as president and vice-president of the Queen’s Commonwealth Trust.
Meghan and Harry also announced recently they will soon have another child after the Duchess suffered a miscarriageCredit: Getty Images – Getty