It’s believed Oprah Winfrey interviewed Prince Harry and Meghan Markle last Tuesday, days before the Queen stripped them of their royal patronages (Picture: Getty)
Buckingham Palace confirmed on Friday the couple would have to relinquish their prestigious roles with the military, arts, Commonwealth and sporting organisations.
Harry and Meghan’s interview was recorded days before the announcement and is due to be broadcast on March 7.
Producers have now had to ‘significantly’ edit the film following the news, the Mirror reports.
One TV insider in the US told the paper CBS would ‘ideally’ like to re-shoot some of the interview so the Sussexes can talk about their official exit from the royals.
‘When the Duke and Duchess spoke, it was never envisaged they would have their patronages taken away,’ a source said.
‘They didn’t see it coming and spoke as they still had roles to play.
‘Now, however, other than their titles, they are to have no role in royal life – a point producers know was not discussed when Winfrey spoke to them.
Harry and Meghan’s Oprah interview is due out in March (Picture: Getty Images)
‘Neither the Sussexes nor the TV crew saw the fallout of their interview leading to this. Harry and Meghan thought they would retain their roles.’
It’s believed the interview was filmed last Tuesday, the same day Prince Philip was admitted to hospital after feeling unwell.
Since Harry and Meghan quit as senior working royals in March last year, they have signed deals with Spotify and Netflix estimated to be worth more than £100 million.
The couple were reportedly told that their commercial interests were incompatible with the role of public servants who need to remain impartial.
One official said Her Majesty was blunt in making this clear to her grandson, telling him: ‘You work for the monarchy, the monarchy doesn’t work for you’, the Daily Mail reports.
Tensions over the couple’s ‘half in half out’ role in the royal family are said to have brewed behind the scenes for some time.
An insider said: ‘The direction of travel has been clear for a while. The Queen has been very clear from the start that this “half in, half out” model demanded by the Sussexes wouldn’t work and hasn’t deviated from that. Not once.
‘Their original idea was to have a “third way” of being a royal. And the Queen has said quite simply “no, you can’t”.’
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]
For more stories like this, check our news page.