A CLEVER iPhone trick lets you scan any paper document in seconds – and it’ll save you loads of time.
You don’t need to install any special apps, and you certainly don’t need a hulking printer-scanner.
Scanning documents is possible through the Notes appCredit: The Sun / Apple
It’s a brilliant trick for anyone stuck at home in these troubled times.
Home-schooling parents can quickly upload work for teachers as school.
But it’s handy for anyone who needs to scan a document – including homebound office workers
To do it, you need to open the official Apple Notes app.
It takes seconds to scan a document with an iPhoneCredit: The Sun / Apple
This is installed on every iPhone as standard, so don’t worry about trying to find it in the App Store.
Start a new note, and then tap the camera icon at the bottom.
Then choose the Scan Document option, which will launch a camera viewfinder.
You simply position the document directly in front of the camera, and it should automatically start scanning.
It’s instantaneous, and will automatically crop, rotate and optimise the image for you.
You can save the document as a photo or file.
You can do document scans on iPhone or iPadCredit: The Sun / Apple
iPhone tricks to try today
Here are some of the best…
- Typing cursor – When typing, hold down the space bar to turn your keyboard into a trackpad, letting you move around words and sentences more easily
- Close all Safari tabs – To do this in one go, simply hold the overlapped squares in the bottom right-hand corner, and press close all tabs
- Delete lots of photos quickly – Hold down on a photo and then drag your finger diagonally in Photos to select lots of images at once, then hit delete
- Convert currency quickly – Swipe down from the top of your Home screen (or swipe left to right on an iPhone X or later model), then tap in the bar and type a currency (like $200) and it will automatically covert to your local currency
- Check if you’re due a battery upgrade – Batteries inside smartphones degrade over time. Just go to Settings > Battery > Battery Health, and check out the Maximum Capacity reading. Generally a battery is considered worn when you’re down to 80% capacity. If you’re below, you can buy a battery swap from Apple
- Move apps around faster – Hold an app until it starts wiggling, then (while still holding) tap other apps, causing them to stack so you can move them around easier
And it’s easy using the iPhone’s built-in sharing tools to send the scanned document over email, via AirDrop to nearby iPhone users, or through apps like WhatsApp.
Scanning was actually improved in the latest iOS 14 update to be faster and more precise.
So if you haven’t got that yet, follow our guide on how to update your iPhone to iOS 14.
Fans have been going wild for the scanning document feature.
One Facebooker named Brandi Mumma went viral after sharing the trick.
And one thankful mum branded it a “game-changing” tip.
Another said: “Oh my goodness! I was going to Officeworks to buy a scanner today! Thank you.”
In other news, Apple could be working on new foldable iPhones.
Read our guide to 5G here.
And find out if 5G is in your area.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at [email protected]